Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"We live in a web of ideas ..."
2015/16 Project #2
Seamwork Akita Top


"We live in a web of ideas,
a fabric of our own making."
-Joseph Chilton Pearce

I am new to the world of downloadable patterns, and I wanted something simple to try for my first one.  The "Akita" top from Seamwork magazine seemed perfect, as it is just one pattern piece.  The boxy, drapey style is also very much in fashion right now. 

The pattern was easy to print out and tape together.  However, the way it is supposed to fit on the body, with some definition around the bust, and then drape, would make it look like I was wearing a tent.  The size I was supposed to cut based on my bust measurement would leave a fifteen inch difference between my actual waist size and the finished waist size.  Instead, I decided to cut the front of the pattern from the back, perform a 2" Full Bust Adjustment (FBA), and then tape it back together and cut the size 8, matching my upper bust measure instead.



The splicing and spreading of the FBA was actually much simpler than I thought it would be, and since I didn't actually change anything on the shoulder area, it taped back together well.  Since it is just one giant pattern piece, I did not have a large enough table space to lay it out and cut, so I ended up using the floor and moving my cutting mat around.  This was also my first attempt at using pattern weights and a rotary cutter, and it is SO MUCH EASIER to go around curves than using pins and scissors.  I don't think I will ever go back!  However, it will be even better when our new house is finished and I have room for a large cutting table in my sewing and craft room.


I used a 100% rayon challis fabric I found on the clearance table at Hancock, as I thought the drape would look nice.  I essentially was going to make a potentially wearable muslin, and if I liked the fit and style, make another in a Girl Charlee rayon challis fabric that I have had in my stash for over a year.

Unfortunately, this boxy style just looks terrible on me.  While the top went together easily, it just isn't very flattering.  I attempted to add a sweater, but that didn't help.  What I really need is more definition at the waistline.  I think I may buy a white belt to see if that helps, but I am not sure it will ever look as cute as it does on the pattern model.  I am not sure the neckline will ever lay flat, either, though cutting the size at my upper bust measure should have fixed that.


All in all, it was a great, simple pattern to try my hand at printing, taping and using a downloadable pattern.  The instructions were clear, and on a different body shape, this might be a great top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...