Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thankful Thursday: "like an apple on a tree ..."

like an apple on a tree
hiding out behind the leaves
I was difficult to reach
but you picked me
-A Fine Frenzy, "You Picked Me"



Today I am thankful, first of all, to be back from San Francisco (where AC and I had a great time together!) and back to a normal next few weeks.  

However, I am also thankful that it is apple season, and specifically, honeycrisp apple season.  Honeycrisp apples are my absolute favorite, as they are just a little sweet and just a little sour, with the perfect crunch.  Honeycrisp apples are generally only available during the fall for a short season, and I am thankful that season is now upon us.

Also, I thought I would feature a recipe for apples that is easy and delicious: applesauce.  This applesauce recipe is modified from one I found in EatingWell magazine.

Ingredients:
3 tart apples (granny smith), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium apples (jonagold), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 sweet apples (gala), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Combine apple pieces and water in a large saucepan. 
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. 
3. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the apples are very soft and falling apart, about 30 minutes. 
4. Mash the apples to the desired consistency and stir in maple syrup and cinnamon.




Linking up today with:

Loved and Lovely
Thankful Thursdays Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...